Silver Filling known as Amalgam has been the most widely used tooth filling material for decades. It remains popular because it is strong, lasting and low-cost.
The mercury found in amalgam fillings has raised some safety concerns over the years. Amalgam can release small amounts of mercury vapor over time. Patients can absorb these vapors by inhaling or ingesting them.
People can also be exposed to mercury through other means. Exposure can happen through certain foods (particularly fish), medications, the air we breathe, and other sources.
Mercury toxicity from high-level industrial or work exposure is well found. Possible symptoms of mercury poisoning include irritability, memory loss, tremors, poor physical coordination, insomnia, kidney failure, and anorexia.
Little Evidence of Any Health Risk
Reports that suggest mercury from amalgam causes the above-mentioned symptoms, conditions and other diseases like Alzheimer’s or multiple sclerosis, are not backed up by current scientific evidence.* The evidence also suggests that the removal of amalgam has no health benefits.
Scientists supported by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) recently reported the results of two randomized clinical trials that weighed the safety of placing amalgam fillings in the teeth of children. NIDCR is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
One study was conducted in the United States and the other in Europe. The results are published in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association).
Both studies separately reach the same conclusion. Children whose cavities are filled with dental amalgam have no harmful health effects.
The findings include no detectable loss of intellect, memory, coordination, focus, nerve conduction, or kidney function during the 5 to7 years the children were followed. Prior work studies with adults indicate these organs might be especially sensitive to mercury.
Althought Amalgam (Silver Fillings) is safe, we highly recommend Clear Fillings (Composite Fillings) for esthetic and to conserve your tooth structure.
Back Next Home